For those who've been off the planet for the past six years, Paul is a member of our club and competes in the 200m at the upcoming London Olympics. His races are on Tuesday the 7th, and then the 8th, and 9th August. Paul was born and bred in Athenry (see http://www.paulhession.co/biography.html). He's not yet aware of it but our runners have renamed the road where his parents' live, as in "Will we go up by Hession's road?"; negotiations for a formal name change are ongoing with the county council.
By the way, Paul does compete in the Athenry singlet when he is not wearing the green of Ireland, see photo below. Best of luck from all of us Paul ;-)
1. What running shoes do you train in?
Adidas Prime Finesse
2. How many miles did you run last week?
Probably around 3!
3. What’s your favourite racing distance?
200m of course!
4. Where’s your favourite place to train?
LA or South Africa
5. What’s your favourite event or race each year?
Has to be the championship...Europeans, Worlds, or Olympics
6. What annoys you most at races?
7. What race, that you haven’t yet run, would you most like to take part in?
Zurich Diamond League
8. What was your best-ever running performance?
9. What was your worst-ever running performance?
2011 World Championships
10. What’s the strangest thing that you’ve ever seen on a training run?
Not sure. Tracks are usually less interesting than the roads!
11. Favourite piece of running gear?
My new Adidas spikes. They have put serious work into this year's footwear and it shows.
12. Who would you most enjoy beating in a sprint for the line?
Anyone who thinks they are faster than me
13. What was the best bit of training advice you were ever given?
Listen to your body
14. In ten years time will you still be running?
I'd say so, though maybe more like Fields of Athenry than Olympics!
15. If for some reason you were told you could never run again, how do you think you’d react?
Pre-Olympics - devastation!
Post-Olympics - disappointment...but there's more to life....
16. Have you ever been bitten by a dog while running?
17. Have you ever had to stop for an emergency "Paula" during a race?
Considering they only last 20 seconds that would be a real emergency!
18. Favourite post-race food?
Nothing like a post-race dessert that you've been eyeing up for weeks!
19. Most embarrassing ever running-related moment?
When I forgot my shorts at the Mosney Community Games!
20. The greatest Irish Athlete of all time is/was?
Sonia O Sullivan