It all started in January when plans were being laid for the year. There was lots of chat going on of going to Manchester and I thought well it’s not a scenic marathon so if I am to do it I will have to train hard and race it. It fitted in with plans at home as nobody had any race plans for the first part of the year so it was my turn to put my own training first - so I had no excuses! The previous year I did the HR analysis with Matt Bidwell and got my infamous Zones.
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? Since January 2013.
2. Briefly, what started you running? To keep fit.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Have probably tried them all, brooks, saucony, mizuno but use Asics GT3000 now.
4. What piece of running gear/apparel is your most prized possession? has to be my watch.
5. What is your favourite event/race of the year? Kinvara Half Marathon.
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? The beginning of 2012.
2. Briefly, what started you running? I bought a bike to start cycling, I did some adventure races and realized I prefer running to cycling, so I parked the bike and concentrated on running.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Brooks Pure Cadance for Road and Brooks Cascadias for Trail.
Congrats to all in Labane on the successful running of the latest iteration of the GSP-sponsored 10KM, today, Sunday 17 April 2016.
Full result & prizes attaced.
Men's winners below:
Now in the 40th year, the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon took place on Sunday. 15,149 athletes ran the 26.2 miles (42km) through the streets of North West England. The weather was reported to be very pleasant. It was dry and the sun broke through the clouds throughout the race. A large contingent of runners travelled from Athenry AC to run as race organisers describe a "super fast course" and it is also considered to be one of the flattest marathon courses in the UK!
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? I joined Athenry AC in 2013.
2. Briefly, what started you running? My asthma was progressively getting worse so my doctor suggested walking or running. I absolutely hated both, as both involved a bit of effort but my friend Brighid Cannon called to visit the next evening and said we were signing up for F4L so it all went from there.
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? Just over two years, Jane Ann convinced me to join during a physio session. I only said yes to try and make the pain stop…it didn’t!!
2. Briefly, what started you running? I was getting married in 2013 and I wanted to try and shift some excess weight beforehand. I was surprised how addictive I found running and have kept at it since.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? I always use Brooks Adrenaline.
With the Olympics Games in Rio only months away, Galway sports fans will have the chance to spend an entertaining evening in the company of two of the legendary figures of Irish athletics in the Raheen Woods Hotel, Athenry on Wednesday the 20th of April next at 08:00pm. Runners of all levels will have something to look forward on what promises to be a great night.
This FREE event is hosted by Athenry AC to mark the occasion of the launch of the Athenry AC Half Marathon which takes place on the 25th of June next in Monivea.
The Athenry Community Games and Parish Sports will take place this Sunday, 10th April at the Carnaun pitch, starting at 1:30pm. Programme of events is attached.
First up is the often hotly contested Mens (3000m) and Womens (1500m) races for which there are trophies up for grabs.