1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? Just over two years, Jane Ann convinced me to join during a physio session. I only said yes to try and make the pain stop…it didn’t!!
2. Briefly, what started you running? I was getting married in 2013 and I wanted to try and shift some excess weight beforehand. I was surprised how addictive I found running and have kept at it since.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? I always use Brooks Adrenaline.
With the Olympics Games in Rio only months away, Galway sports fans will have the chance to spend an entertaining evening in the company of two of the legendary figures of Irish athletics in the Raheen Woods Hotel, Athenry on Wednesday the 20th of April next at 08:00pm. Runners of all levels will have something to look forward on what promises to be a great night.
This FREE event is hosted by Athenry AC to mark the occasion of the launch of the Athenry AC Half Marathon which takes place on the 25th of June next in Monivea.
New Inn's 5th annual road race took place today. There was good running conditions for the race as 261 runners, joggers and walkers took on the one loop course. The rain held off for the duration of the race allowing most of the competitors to complete the course and get home dry! Numbers were down on last year but there was still a great turn out and great support.
Results: Wheelchair Shaun's Bocquet Craughwell AC 17:12 (finished 3rd overall)
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? 9 happy years :-)
2. Briefly, what started you running? Myself and my sister in law walked the Women’s mini marathon one year and were so frustrated with the crowds we vowed we would run it the following year – However it did take 9 months to get started when I joined Alan Burkes Meet and Train group and the rest is history.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Mizuno Wave Inspire.
Loughrea Athletics Club hosted their annual 5km race on Easter Monday. Numbers were down slightly on last years race. 237 athletes gathered at the start line to run a 2 lap course of Loughrea town. Weather conditions were described as perfect with clear blue skies! Proceeds from the race (€1,300) were donated to Cancer Care West. Results as follows
Keith Fallon GCH 15:57
Peadar Harvey Craughwell AC 16:22
Andrew Nevin 17:17
Colemanstown Soccer Club always put on a great race and they kept the ball rolling in 2016 with another great day out for the annual 10K. This was year 6 of the run and sometime between the kids race and the start of the main race the marquee had a fit of giggles and decided that R Kelly might have been on to something. Turns out though that marquees can't fly, or at least not for very long or very far thankfully. The post-race goodies were saved and moved to the clubhouse, a great example of the behind the scenes work that goes on at races.
The Fit4Life group meets every Wednesday at 7pm and Saturdays at 9am at the Church carpark in Athenry. This is an ideal time to join as we are recruiting new members which means you will meet lots of other runners at your level! Members from the club who are experienced runners run with group, offer encouragement, advice and support! Registration is €35 for the year and you can complete the registration form at the following link. https://athenryac.wufoo.eu/forms/join-athenry-ac-fit-4-life/