Fit4Life welcomed a new group of beginners this morning to the 9:00am session. Great to see 4 new faces, hope you enjoyed your run!
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? 9 happy years :-)
2. Briefly, what started you running? Myself and my sister in law walked the Women’s mini marathon one year and were so frustrated with the crowds we vowed we would run it the following year – However it did take 9 months to get started when I joined Alan Burkes Meet and Train group and the rest is history.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Mizuno Wave Inspire.
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? Since 2006
2. Briefly, what started you running? A friend of mine had taken it up so i joined him for a few runs
3. What shoes do you train/race in? At the moment Nike Lunarglide
4. What piece of running gear/apparel is your most prized possession? Nothing really but i do like this year’s 10k hat
5. What is your favourite event/race of the year? Dublin in October
Loughrea Athletics Club hosted their annual 5km race on Easter Monday. Numbers were down slightly on last years race. 237 athletes gathered at the start line to run a 2 lap course of Loughrea town. Weather conditions were described as perfect with clear blue skies! Proceeds from the race (€1,300) were donated to Cancer Care West. Results as follows
Keith Fallon GCH 15:57
Peadar Harvey Craughwell AC 16:22
Andrew Nevin 17:17
Caroline Whirskey Loughrea AC 19:46
Colette Glennon 20:10
Maebh Brannigan 20:56
Colemanstown Soccer Club always put on a great race and they kept the ball rolling in 2016 with another great day out for the annual 10K. This was year 6 of the run and sometime between the kids race and the start of the main race the marquee had a fit of giggles and decided that R Kelly might have been on to something. Turns out though that marquees can't fly, or at least not for very long or very far thankfully. The post-race goodies were saved and moved to the clubhouse, a great example of the behind the scenes work that goes on at races.
The Fit4Life group meets every Wednesday at 7pm and Saturdays at 9am at the Church carpark in Athenry. This is an ideal time to join as we are recruiting new members which means you will meet lots of other runners at your level! Members from the club who are experienced runners run with group, offer encouragement, advice and support! Registration is €35 for the year and you can complete the registration form at the following link.
It is with great sadness that I note the recent passing of the truly great Jim McNamara, Donore Harriers. There is much about him on the web which is easily found via your favoured search engine but I will reference an article by Frank McNally, here. I am fairly sure in saying that Jim visited Athenry twice in recent years, for the National 10KM in 2008 and then again for the National Half in 2012. I also recall him being in Ballybofey in 2009 at the National Hal
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? I joined in 2012, Frances joined in 2011 and was telling me about speed sessions on a Tuesday so I decided to join to do speed only. It was grand for the first few while I knew nobody but when I got to know people I got sucked into more and more sessions and then finally they convinced me to do Dublin.
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? I started in May 2011 as a Fit4Life member.
2. Briefly, what started you running? I used to work alongside Elaine Quinn & she was forever talking about running & how many miles she had done at the weekend etc etc, so got me thinking maybe I can do this running thing!!!! It was Elaine that told me about the Fit4Life programme that existed in Athenry AC, now it took me six months to sum up the courage to join as I had no running experience at all.
We've been longing for a day like this for quite some time now, after the wind and rain of the last number of months we got the most absolute perfect conditions today for the annual Craughwell 10 mile and boy did it show in the results. All the talk was of PBs at the end, some very big ones too for Athenry AC runners, so lets start the report right there....