Published in Club News on 4th February 2011
From Maria Hehir:
Last November 6th (2010) saw the 1st Athenry Fit4Life 5km charity road race. This race was made for people who had just joined the f4l programme and for current f4l members to test themselves in a low-pressure race.
I was very pleased with the turnout on the day as this was my first time being Race Director. Thankfully, it all went well.
Clare Rowe (Athenry AC Fit4Life) was the 1st lady home while Martin Nolan (AIT Fit4Life) was the 1st Male home. See: http://www.athenryac.com/athenry-ac-fit4life-5km-charity-road-race-results .
I don't think there are many of us who cannot say that they haven't been touch by someone with cancer and it was with this in mind that I decided to donate the proceeds to the Galway Hospice organisation. It was with great pleasure that I, along with my good friend and runner partner Eileen Molloy (Corofin AC), handed over a cheque to Mary Tierney & Orla Feeney (Galway Hospice) for €875.62 a few weeks back.
Mary explained to us that the money would go towards the day care in the hospice and showed us around. I must say a huge thank you to the staff that do such wonderful work, the care and attention they give through Home Care Service, Day Care and support services is AMAZING.
A huge ‘Thank You’ for all that helped out on the day including:
* Members of Athenry AC, GCH, Corofin AC,
* Galway Civil Defence who gave their time for free
* Galway Crystal for the two beautiful engraved vases and to and to also to the following who kindly sponsored spot prizes
* Martina Passman – "Beauty Treatments"
* The Three Gorges Tuam – Kee and Cindy
* Hip Kids & The Lady's Gym – Noreen Cooley
* "Les Vignerons" wines Galway