Published in Fields of Athenry 10km on 29th December 2009


Unfortunatey we've had to cancel the race for today.
Ice on both the course and approach roads is not melting fast enough.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but safety is priority.

The race has been PROVISIONALLY rescheduled for Sunday January 3rd at 1:30pm.
The date is dependant on race insurance and weather [obviously!].

Your entry is automatically valid for  the rescheduled date.

Please check this site regularly for updates.

For Athenry AC members, an organisational meeting will be held on Wednesday 30th, 8pm, Raheen Woods Hotel.

 The big day is almost upon us! After weeks, and indeed months of preparation, it's all systems go for the Fields of Athenry 10km on December 26th.

Reminder- No entries available on the day!

In the hopefully unlikely event that inclement weather puts a spanner in the works, we will update the website www.athenryac.com as soon as possible.

While there is a good amount of parking in the School grounds, there is more parking near the railway station for those travelling from the North. Galway City Harriers are organising a bus for those travelling from Galway city. More details on their website.

As people exit off the new motorway, take the very first exit, don't go into the town centre, head across the railway line towards the Raheen Woods Hotel. Take the new road through  the Raheen Industrial estate, and park at the railway station. This route will be marked with signs.

It would life easier for everybody if people could car-pool to take the pressure off parking.

No numbers are issued by post. Race packs will be available for collection from 9:30am on the morning on the race at our Race HQ in Presentation College Athenry. Your souvenir hat is also provided then, and copies of our race programme will also be available. Registration closes at 10:45am.

Your race pack contains your race number which should be worn on your front, safety pins provided, and MUST be visible at all times.

Also in the pack is your timing chip. This should be attached to one of your shoes using the ties provided. Please follow the instructions provided in your race pack. The chip is colected at the finsh line - Please don't leave the finish area without returning it.

Tea, coffee and other refreshments are provided in canteen upstairs after the race from 11:30am, and we hope to have our prizegiving at 1pm.

See you all on the day.


Is it still green for go tomorrow,will back roads be de-iced enough for runners.

Numbers and chips are already allocated.

The forecast suggests that everything should be OK tomorrow morning.

While we would like to make an early decision, the weather forecast suggests temperatures rising slightly for the next 24 hours.

As that is the case, we will make a decision tomorrow morning.

What time tomorrow morning do you expect to make the decision? I guess some folks have to travel quite a distance so it seems an early am decision is important. Thks.

The Race Director and his team will make a course inspection at 0745 and determine the state of the course then.  If the race is to be cancelled we will try and make that decision as soon as possible after that point.


unfortunately i woke up with a bad cold on thursday morning and definitely wont be running the race! should make things a little easier for the GCH boys in terms of the team title! good luck with the race, hope it all goes well. was looking forward to it but wasnt to be this year!

Guys I was just bout to leave parents in kildare, I think you have made the right decision, a tough one no doubt, but safety is the key....athletes will understand this, no point in doing all the training falling and breaking something. Now that the decision is made everyone can enjoy their christmas 'catch up'..food glorious food!

As one who took a heavy fall on an icy footpath yesterday and is now aching all over, it's disappointing but a correct decision.

Will you announce a new date as soon as possible?

I agree and I really enjoyed my 'second sleep'

agreeded! I was about to leave offaly this morning and the roads looked very bad. Definitely the best thing to do.

Well done lads a very good decision, safety first in these situations is priority. Looking forward to the 3rd Jan, just hope this weather clears before then.

Thanks guys, to let people know early this morning. I am sure it was a difficult decison to make, but it has to be done. Well done

Well done, a hard decision to make but the correct one. Best of luck with the rescheduled date, Hope to make it home to Athenry from Craughwell by then!! even if its only to replenish the cake and biscuit supply in my house for the next meeting!!! :-)

...to the "Fields" organising committee for their timely decision in calling the race off this morning. Also, their efforts at broadcasting updates is much appreciated. If I was not receiving SMS messages or online this morning, Michael Murray in the RTE radio 1 newsroom was able to tell me the that Athenry 10K road-race was postponed on his 9am and 10am bulletins earlier. I'm sure it was on local channels as well. Here's to next week...

Will the race on the 3rd be open to all people to sign up or is it still only for those that registered for the race today?

As you wil have read, we will allow people to defer their entry or get a refund, if they give us notice before Dec 31st.

We'll know then whether we have any extra spaces.

I doubt that entry will be open to all, but keep an eye on the website for details.

Christmas day with no drink ... for NOWT !!
Still , good call , looking forward to the 3rd