Published in Members on 15th March 2016
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? 4 Years.
2. Briefly, what started you running? A desire to keep off the weight i'd lost during a period of loss in 2012. I'd never been active when younger and was always overweight. Anyway i started walking but soon got bored of that as i felt I wasn't getting anywhere fast. Joined Fit4Life, a brilliant group run and organised by club members and progressed from there.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Mizuno Wave Inspire.
4. What piece of running gear/apparel is your most prized possession? Garmin Forerunner 310XT
5. What is your favourite event/race of the year? 5k Series.
6. What event/race that you haven’t done would you most like to compete in? Would love to try the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc, something about the scenery attracts me to it.
7. What performance/race do you take most pride in? Fields of Athenry 10k 2013, not a PB run, but the friends and family that ran and the breakfast afterwards made it a very memorable day, so much so that it has kind of become an annual event for us all.
8. Is there any performance/race that you would rather forget? Monivea Half Marathon 2013, my first ever half marathon and also the hottest day ever i've been out running. The water hoses at so many houses were a godsend, thankfully there wasn't any water charges back then!!
9. Where is your favourite place to train? Really anywhere around Athenry is lovely, so many possibilities and routes.
10. What type of training is your “favourite”? (Speed,Tempo,Short,Long Run,Slow????) Any of the above as long as I know where the start and finish is. But really enjoy Speed and Tempo. I always come away feeling better after them.
11. Do you prefer solo or group training? Really enjoy running with people, sometimes they're the motivation that keeps me going and of course the non stop talk.
12. What’s the funniest/strangest thing you’ve seen or heard on a run? That could be embarrassing for too many people I like to call friends.
13. If you were to give 1 piece of advice to a newcomer to running what would it be? Don't be afraid to get out there and start running, and don't be intimidated.
14. What injury has caused you the most problems since you started running? I haven't had any so far.
15. Do you cross train? If yes what type? Yes, some core workouts in the gym, swimming and cycling.
16. What is your most embarrassing running related incident? None.
17. Which club member would you most like to beat in a sprint to the line? Of course it's nearly always Donna Lane, she's very competitive coming up to the finish line.
18. Do you have a favourite current or past athlete that inspires you? Jane Ann Meehan and Mick Rice for all the effort they put in and all they give to the club.19. Which PB would you most like to break this year? All of them. Beating the Half Marathon and Full Marathon times would be the ones i'd like to do most though. 20. Can you share the following PBs with us?....... Distance Time Where When
5km 23:38 Athenry Sept 2015
8km 42:12 Kilconieron Feb 2015
10km 49:53 Kilkerrin July 2015
10 mile 1:27:28 Craughwell Mar 2015
Half Marathon 1:51:25 Athlone Flatline Sep 2015
Full Marathon 4:19:26 Dublin Oct 2015