Published in Members on 21st April 2016
1. How long have you been an Athenry AC member? The beginning of 2012.
2. Briefly, what started you running? I bought a bike to start cycling, I did some adventure races and realized I prefer running to cycling, so I parked the bike and concentrated on running.
3. What shoes do you train/race in? Brooks Pure Cadance for Road and Brooks Cascadias for Trail.
4. What piece of running gear/apparel is your most prized possession? My Salomon hydration backpack essential for long runs and days out in the mountains!
5. What is your favourite event/race of the year? Wicklow Way Ultra.
6. What event/race that you haven’t done would you most like to compete in? I'd love to run one of the American classic trail races like Western States 100. Or one of Europe trail races like Ultra Trail de Mount Blanc.
7. What performance/race do you take most pride in? My sub 3hr marathon in Portumna, I was a little happy after that race as you can see from the the finish line photo, thanks to Iain Shaw for capturing that moment.
8. Is there any performance/race that you would rather forget? Every 10k I've ever done. That distance has broken me so many times.
9. Where is your favourite place to train? Give me any mountain or forest trail to run up, especially Croach Patrick.
10. What type of training is your “favourite”? (Speed,Tempo,Short,Long Run,Slow????) long Runs.
11. Do you prefer solo or group training? A healthy mixture of both.
12. What’s the funniest/strangest thing you’ve seen or heard on a run? Some things cannot be repeated, isn't that right Mr Forde!!!!!
13. If you were to give 1 piece of advice to a newcomer to running what would it be? Run as slow as you can for as long as you can.
14. What injury has caused you the most problems since you started running? nothing too serious.
15. Do you cross train? If yes what type? I do strength and core class and I do some Thai Boxing.
16. What is your most embarrassing running related incident? I once got left behind by Frank Burke during a long run!
17. Which club member would you most like to beat in a sprint to the line? Ray Somers.
18. Do you have a favourite current or past athlete that inspires you? Ultra distance trail runners like Scott Jurek and Killian Jornet and also Irelands Eoin Keith.19. Which PB would you most like to break this year? Marathon. 20. Can you share the following PBs with us?....... Distance Time Where When
5km 17:54 Tuam 2015
8km 30:55 Streets of Galway 2013
10km 38:21 Athenry 2014 (And Top 50 finishers T-shirt, my pride and joy Ray)
10 mile 1:14:00 Craughwell 2016 (The only 10 miler i've ever done)
Half Marathon 1:28:14 Galway Bay 2012
Full Marathon 2:59:44 Portumna 2014